Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Potosi has stolen my heart

Dear my family in Utah,


What up? So I am sitting here in Potosi and it is cold. Lets start off Thursday morning I went to the Airport to hop on a plane to Sucre. They gave me a pill that I was supposed to take on the plain because a lot of people get sick when they get to Potosi because of how high it is. Well let me just remind you I cant swallow pills. The Elders had a good laugh at me, and lets just say it did not go down my throat. Needless to say I didn't get sick whoot whoot. Take that for making fun of me Elders. I got to Potosi about 3 in the afternoon. My comp is Hermana Manacho. She is from La Paz Bolivia, she has five people in her family and is the only member. She has been a member for 5 years now and only has 3 months left on her mission. I think that I will be killing her off. Who knows though she has been in Potosi for 4 months now. They could move her to another area. If we stay together till she leaves I will probably be in Potosi until Sept/Oct would be my guess. It is cold here especially in the mornings and nights. During the day it is like Utah weather during Autumn which makes sense because it is that time here. They keep telling me it will get much colder by June and July since those are the winter months. I don't know if they have llama coats or not. I will say I sleep with 5 blankets, 2 shirts, 2 pairs of pajama pants, two pairs of socks and a jacket to keep warm at night. The first night here I froze and kept waking up, I solved that problem. Though I don't have a hat, I believe I will be buying some things today. Also Hermana Madrid got me a coat that is pretty warm. We have space heaters that try and keep us warm. We can wear leggings I think as long as they don't show because my comp wears them. I will follow her example. Potosi is just made of hills. It gives you quiet a work out, I get really excited when we get on a flat road and I can catch my breath. I do not have an address, Here in Bolivia you go by the street name, sometimes you have a number on the door other than that you remember where people live by.....It is the blue door with brown stripes next to the big tree and the dead dog in the road. Yep that is pretty much how you do it. Here we have a ward and there are about 50 people that attend. No one plays the piano so they have the piano with the songs on them and just press play, but since we don't have some of the same songs we sing accapella and I just smile and laugh. It is terrible but I love it, they like to make up their own notes. It is a stake center that my ward meets in. I am taller than 85 percent of the people here or the same size. There are always wealthy Bolivians but that just means you have a flat screen T.V and a computer in your home, also with couches and more than two rooms. You might just have three. There are 4 sisters in the area. My comp was the first sister to come here and take over the area from Elders. Then came Hermana Quispe my first come and Hna Madrid. There are about I would say 14 Elders. There are only 4 of us in my district. My comp and I, the District leader and his comp who is actually a ward member because there aren't enough missionaries. So for right now he is considered a missionary. Lets see what else oh about what Hermana Bates said is that I am the first North American sister here in Potosi. I was talking to one of the AP'S and he said it was being considered an experiment. Makes me feel special doesn't it. Though I went and visited a house and they just stare. Then the dad came in and the girl shouted look dad a gringita. Then the kids are once again scared of me or are just very curious. For example yesterday during sacrament meeting we sat behind a family with kids and they just turned and stared at me the whole time, then I had two that came and sat by me and just stared. Hna Manacho just laughed and so did I. For baptisms yea there is a few but in all honesty after their baptism they become inactive. There is a lot of work that we need to do here with the inactive people. My pensenistas are awesome, we have one for lunch and another for dinner. Hermana Corina our pensenista for dinner is going to teach me how to make salteƱas and cake from down here that is delicious. She though gives us so much food for dinner I can barley breath, then we have to start walking up hill again and I just want to die. Oh well I have asked for less and lets just say it is not less. Well I don't know what else I can say I think I have answered all your questions. I love you all lots, stay safe and remember who you are and what you stand for. Also remember to say your prayers and read your scriptures.

Hermana Nielsen

No comments:

Post a Comment